Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Appointment Post

Friday, January 13, 2012

Breakfast: yogurt
Lunch: 2 turkey burgers w/fat free American cheese and reduced sugar ketchup; mixed veggies
Dinner: garden salad w/balsamic vinaigrette, steamed broccoli, and wild rice pilaf from Red Lobster
Snack: popcorn

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Breakfast: 4 egg whites w/onion and hot 'n' sweet relish; 1 turkey sausage link; 2 strips turkey bacon; yogurt
Lunch: turkey chili
Exercise: 30 minutes on treadmill, 30 minute upper and lower body workout with Cybex weight-lifting machines; 30 minutes on stationary bike
Dinner: grilled chicken Caribbean salad and steamed broccoli from Chili's
Snack: popcorn

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Breakfast: none
Lunch: 2 turkey burgers w/fat free American cheese and reduced sugar ketchup; mixed veggies
Snack: 2 cutie clementines; 1 cameo apple w/PB2 powdered peanut butter
Dinner: grilled chicken w/mixed veggies
Snack: Kefir smoothie w/frozen peaches
Exercise: 15 minutes cardio DVD; 30 minutes pilates

I know it's been a while.. Friday and Saturday BDR was off work so we spent time with family and friends, and I haven't had the concentration to sit down and write a post. But a couple of you have asked how Friday's appointment went so here it goes!

(Any male readers, I'm going to invite you beg you to discontinue reading this particular post)

Basically, it was a pretty great appointment. Braylen and I sat down with the ob/gyn and talked with her about my lack of menstruation, trying to start a family, issues with my weight, etc. After several minutes of talking, we came to a consensus that first priority for us is for me to lose more weight. She was happy to hear about how much I've lost so far, but to put me at a lower risk of complication during pregnancy/childbirth, she would like me to be below 200 lbs.

After we kicked Husband out of the office, she did the breast exam and pap test. Then, as an added measure, she did a vaginal ultrasound. I had never heard of such a thing, but really it was pretty darn cool. We looked at my ovaries, uterus, cervix, and all that other great stuff you see pictures of in anatomy books but can't really imagine inside your own body.

(Side note: When I told Husband later about the ultrasound and seeing my uterus, he asked "Did it have a Room for Rent sign on it?" Hardy-har-har. He's so funny!)

Now what I'm going to try to explain is just my understanding of what she told me. I do not claim to be an expert on anything having to do with the reproductive system.

Upon administration of the ultrasound, she pointed out to me that there are several follicles (otherwise known as "cysts") lining each of my ovaries. Follicles are where a woman's eggs mature and ultimately are released during menstruation. This build-up of follicles could be indicative of more than one scenario. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is the worst-case scenario. The way the doctor explained PCOS to me is that a woman must meet 2 out of 3 criteria: 1) irregular or missed periods, 2) polycystic-appearing ovaries, and/or 3) elevated androgens (male hormones that females also produce). Since I currently am experiencing #'s 1 and 2, PCOS is a possibility for me. However, since my birth control eliminated my menstruation cycle (as it was supposed to) and my body hasn't started the cycle over again yet, the build-up of follicles on my ovaries may be due to my lack of menstruation (which was a side effect of my birth control). Due to a consistent menstruation cycle prior to my starting birth control, she expressed confidence in the follicle build-up sloughing off once I begin to have regular cycles again.

She gave me a prescription to a medication I will take for 10 days. At the end of the 10 days, my period should start. If it doesn't after 10-14 more days, I need to contact her because this could indicate another problem. If my period does start, I will begin taking birth control on the third day of menstruation.

Ultimately, we decided that, first and foremost, I need to get my body to where it needs to be. Despite feeling mentally ready to have children, my body is most definitely not. By my next appointment with her in 3 months, our goal is for me to have lost 30 pounds (hello, motivation!). We will look at my ovaries again in the hopes that they will no longer be polycystic (therefore ruling out PCOS).

One of the things she said that really made me feel hopeful is that although having multiple follicles could be a negative thing (in the case of PCOS), if the problem is solely due to my long spell of no menstruation, then I am likely very fertile! That really made my day to hear that because I've been worrying for so long that I might not be.

What's funny is that I had put off making an appointment with an ob/gyn for so long because I was afraid they would confirm what I already knew: That I need to lose weight before trying to have children. It turns out, that confirmation uplifted my spirits and has given me a new goal to work towards, altogether! The doctor was so helpful, supportive, and informative and she really put my mind at ease about the whole thing, which is likely why her telling me I need to lose weight first lit a fire under me to work harder, as opposed to put me on the defensive. And let me clarify, she was supportive of us trying to have a family now also. She only expressed concerns about pregnancy/childbirth while I'm at this weight once I expressed them first. I love that she was willing to work with whatever decision we chose.

All in all, the appointment really lifted my spirits completely. I feel so much better than I did before because now we have a better understanding as to what's happening with my body.

Thank you all for praying and cheering for us! We will not be having a baby anytime soon (at least not in the next few months) but truthfully, I feel at peace about that. Like I said, I feel mentally ready to be a mother, but knowing my body isn't yet prepared really puts things into perspective. We want to create the healthiest and safest environment for our children to hang out before they're born, and this body I've got goin' on just doesn't make the cut! Losing the weight will be good for me, for our children, and for the future I have with them, Braylen, and my family. I couldn't be happier to wait just a little bit longer and work on getting this body in gear.

I hear childbirth and motherhood are pretty darn tasking.. I better get in shape first!

'Night y'all!

P.S. Tomorrow I'll fill you in on how Friday's weigh-in went. =]

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty good appointment. I wish you all the best. You can soooo get under 200! I'm cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to post a few weeks ago about PCOS but didn’t have a chance. I have PCOS. I have 2 beautiful boys. All 4 of my pregnancies occurred when I was eating correctly (lower carb, whole foods, less sugar and more veggies) and exercising on a consistent basis. You might want to consider blood work for androgen levels and insulin resistance (a 3 hour glucose tolerance test). I highly suggest the book “the insulin resistance Diet” by Cheryle Hart. 3 of 4 obese people most likely have insulin resistance but don’t know it. Basically the premise is eating protein with carbs but don’t exceed too many carbs (30g meals and 15g snacks).

    Even if it is PCOS you can still have babies. Your Dr. is 100% correct on getting healthy but there is one thing to add - Stress. Stress plays a major role in infertility. Try to find ways to manage your stress levels, especially when worrying about making a baby, cycles, etc.

    I am here if need an ear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That's great news. Glad you were able to get some positive encouragement and motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the appointment went well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...