Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tootie Fruity

Alright so many of you probably have not heard of tootie fruity. I hadn't heard of it either until I made my way into the Sorrell family (my MIL's side of the family). Tootie fruity, to outsiders, is better know as fruit salad. Easy enough, right? It was coined "tootie fruity" by my husband's late-grandmother, lovingly known as Meanie. I never had the privilege to meet Meanie, most unfortunately. I know she was a phenomenal woman.



Robin, my MIL, made a variation of tootie fruity the other day. It was delicious, remarkable, and entirely simple... So I knew I would be making it myself very soon. She got the idea from Gina's Skinny Recipes at skinnytaste.com. Of course, like any salad... You can vary it to suit your needs. But here's how I did it today.

Sorry, ahead of time, for the poor picture quality. I used Husband's iPhone.


Step One: Get the troops (AKA fruit) ready. I used blueberries, strawberries, peaches, kiwi, and apple, and grapes. You use whatever your precious little heart desires. Amen.

Step Two: Wash blueberries (not pictured) and dump them into bowl. I used 1 pint.

Step Three: Wash red seedless grapes (or whatever grapes you like). 

And dump them into the bowl. I used about 3-4 ish cups. I didn't measure, guys, I'm sorry. I definitely didn't use a whole bag (which I think is a pound?).

Step Four: Peel and slice the kiwi. Then dump it in the bowl. I used three. I might use four next time, cos they're just that tasty.

Step Five: Cheat and use a slicer to slice your apple. I used a jonagold apple.

And, you guessed it.. Dump it in the bowl.

Step Six: Somehow manage to wrangle the pits out of peaches (I used two) and slice them. Note: I probably (definitely) will not use peaches again. Because I hate pitting them that much. Sorry, BDR. Is there a trick to this? If so, please share!

Oh, and dump 'em.

Step Seven: My faaaaavorite part. Strawberries. I just love 'em so much. Anyways. Cut off the ends and wash them. Please. (I'm realizing how bossy I'm being. Please forgive.) Oh, and I used a pound of these, by the way.

Chop 'em up. YUM.

And lovingly place them in the bowl. (Who "dumps" strawberries?.... They are a special fruit and should be treated as such.)

Step Eight: MIX it up! 

Step Nine: This step is what separates this variation of tootie fruity from the rest of the bunch. This is where things get a little racey, a little amped up, a little... extra. 

After scooping fruit into cup/glass/bowl.... Add Sprite. I used Sprite Zero, but let's not get into technicalities. 

See the bubbles? Yes. It's a special thing, those bubbles.
Note: Notice the Christmas tree table cloth? That's as much of a sneak peak into my birthday party decorations as you're gonna get so take it all in!)

Okay, so in real talk... This stuff is delicious and HELLO so easy to make. I mean... Cut fruit, mix, add soda. Really simple. And hey... If you don't like the soda, don't add it in next time! You can't go wrong with plain fruit salad. Oh, and a little birdie (AKA my MIL) told me that it's also good with grape Smirnoff, as well. I will try this ASAP! It sounds too good to be true. 

Oh, and you know what the best part of it all is? I'm figuring I made about ten servings worth. Maybe more, maybe less, depending on how big of a bowl/glass you put it in. Anyways... If you split up the calories this dish makes between ten servings, guess how much one serving is? 

One hundred calories. Even. 100. One hundred! Can you believe it? Yum! 

(Another reason to use Sprite Zero and not something else that would add more calories)

Anyways... Just thought I'd share. It's very tasty as a summer treat. I'm sure it won't last more than a few days in this household. 

What's your favorite summer snack? Do you have a treat that's been passed down in the family? Any special variations to fruit salad? Or suggestions on this one? I'd love to swap recipes!

1 comment:

  1. My mom uses blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries and layers them with 1/2 fat free vanilla yogurt and fat free Cool whip. Kinda like a parfait. It's SOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...